Advanced NP-PRACTICE Credentialing Documents Checklist
Out-of-state N.P. programs – Graduate between Feb. 1 and June 15, 2021
This checklist applies to applicants who plan to graduate from an FNP or AGNP program located outside of California between Feb. 1 and June 15, 2021.
It is highly recommended that you plan well in advance to meet these deadlines. If you are accepted into the program and any of the following deadlines are not met, your offer may be rescinded.
If offered an interview
Within five days of an offer to interview, you must complete and sign a Status of Credentialing form (provided by the N.P. residency program) noting the submission date of your application to one of the certifying agencies listed below. You cannot interview unless this requirement is complete.
- Application for national board certification to AANP or ANCC
California requires N.P.s who graduate from programs outside of California to first obtain their national board certification in order to apply for a California N.P. certificate and furnishing number. Given the California Board of Registered Nursing’s lengthy processing time (16 to 20 weeks), it is required that applicants completing an FNP or AGNP program on or after Feb. 1 submit a national board certification application in advance of their N.P. program completion and take the exam as soon as they are eligible. You must be nationally board certified by June 1, 2021. There may be insufficient time for applicants completing programs outside of California in May 2021 to obtain board certification by June 1. Please consider your specific situation carefully before applying.
If accepted into the program
By June 1, you must submit copies of the following:
- National board certificate
- California unrestricted N. license
For out-of-state applicants who do not yet have a California R.N. license, proof of submission of a complete California R.N. license by endorsement application by June 1 is accepted.
- California nurse practitioner certificate
If you have not yet obtained a California N.P. certificate, proof of submission of a California N.P. certification application to the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) is accepted.
- California nurse practitioner furnishing number certificate
If you have not yet obtained a furnishing number, proof that a furnishing number application was submitted to the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) is accepted.
Note: Given the lengthy processing time at the BRN, it is imperative that out-of-state applicants apply for their R.N. license by endorsement, California N.P. certification and furnishing number immediately after obtaining their national board certification. Applications to the California BRN can be submitted for simultaneous processing but must be completed in the order listed above.
By July 1, you must submit copies of the following
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate
- Government issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license)
By July 15, you must submit copies of the following
- N.P. diploma
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Schedule II Controlled Substance Course completion
- 30 CEUs or FNP/AGNP transcript (official or unofficial)
- E-mail addresses for three (3) peer references (N.P., P.A., M.D., or D.O.)
- Other forms to be provided by the program
By Aug. 24, you must submit copies of the following
- California unrestricted R.N. license, if not previously submitted
- California nurse practitioner certificate, if not previously submitted
- California nurse practitioner furnishing number certificate, if not previously submitted
After you are hired, you must submit copies of the following
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license