Advanced NP-PRACTICE Credentialing Documents Checklist
California N.P. programs – Graduate between Feb. 1 and June 15, 2021
This checklist applies to applicants who plan to graduate from an FNP or AGNP program located in California between Feb. 1 and June 15, 2021.
It is highly recommended that you plan well in advance to meet these deadlines. If you are accepted into the program and any of the following deadlines are not met, your offer may be rescinded.
If offered an interview
Within five days of an offer to interview, you must complete and sign a Status of Credentialing form (provided by the N.P. residency program) noting the submission date of your application to one of the certifying agencies listed below. You cannot interview unless this requirement is complete.
- Application for national board certification to AANP or ANCC
Given the lengthy California N.P. certification process (16 to 20 weeks), it is required that applicants completing an FNP or AGNP program on or after Feb.1 submit a national board certification application in advance of their N.P. program completion and take the exam as soon as they are eligible. You must be nationally board certified by July 15, 2021. There is no room for delay, especially for spring graduates. Please consider your specific situation carefully before applying.
If accepted into the program
By June 1, you must submit copies of the following
- California unrestricted R.N. license
- California nurse practitioner certificate
If you have not yet obtained a California nurse practitioner certificate, proof of submission of a complete California N.P. certification application to the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) no later than June 1 is accepted.
- California nurse practitioner furnishing number certificate
If you have not yet obtained a furnishing number, proof of submission of a furnishing number application to the California BRN no later than June 1 is accepted.
Note: Applications to the CA BRN may be submitted for simultaneous processing but must be completed in the order listed above.
By July 1, you must submit copies of the following
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate
- Government issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license)
By July 15, you must submit copies of the following
- N.P. diploma
- National board certificate, unless previously submitted
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) number
- Schedule II Controlled Substance Course completion
- 30 CEUs or FNP/AGNP transcript (official or unofficial)
- E-mail addresses for three peer references (N.P., P.A., M.D. or D.O.)
- Other forms to be provided by the program
By Aug. 24 you must submit copies of the following
- California nurse practitioner certificate, if not previously submitted
- California nurse practitioner furnishing number certificate, if not previously submitted
After you are hired, you must submit copies of the following
Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license