Family nurse practitioner track goals and outcomes
Mariel Yapdiangco is a Class of 2016 alumna of the family nurse practitioner program.
Master’s-degree program goals
(Informed by American Association for Colleges of Nursing Master’s Essentials)
- Apply leadership skills to transform health care.
- Utilize multiple interprofessional and interdisciplinary perspectives to work and communicate as teams.
- Apply nursing science to improve health and reshape health systems through transformative research with an emphasis on aging, rural health and diverse communities.
- Practice cultural inclusiveness in research, practice, leadership and community engagement.
- Create engaged and interactive approaches to nursing education, research and practice using innovative technology.
Expected aggregate student outcomes
The five, primary expected aggregate student outcomes for the Master of Science — Family Nurse Practitioner (MS-FNP) program are shown below.
Goal: At least 80% of MS-FNP students will graduate on time (eight quarters of consecutive coursework).
Faculty and staff with the MS-FNP program are committed to helping all students finish successfully. In each of the past four years, the program exceeded the goal. The on-time graduation rate for 2017 through 2020 averaged 93.25%.
Goal: 90% of MS-FNP graduates pass the APRN FNP national certification exam on the first attempt.
In each of the past four years, the APRN FNP pass rate for MS-FNP graduates was 100%.
Goal: 90% of MS-FNP graduates will find employment in a health care setting.
The program exceeded this goal program with 95.5% of MS-FNP graduates from the past four years (2016-2019) employed in a health care setting.
Goal: 50% of MS-FNP graduates will practice in medically underserved areas (MUAs), health professional shortage areas (HPSAs) or in primary care settings.
Over the past 40 years, the program graduated 1,800 nurse practitioners and P.A.s. In the past four years, 60% of graduates worked in MUAs, HPSAs or primary care, compared to much lower national averages of between 30 and 40%.
Goal: MS-FNP students will be satisfied (average score of 3.5 on a 5-point Likert scale) with their education program as measured by the end-of-program survey.
Average program satisfaction from 2017 through 2020 was 3.52 on a 5-point Likert scale.
Goal: 100% of MS-FNP graduates will demonstrate competency through their culminating experience.
100% of program graduates in the past four years demonstrated competency through their culminating experience.